On the history of the rothschild boulevard
The Rothschild Boulevard has been one of the first streets of Tel Aviv when it was created just over 100 years ago. Originally called Rehov Ha’Am (“the people’s street”), it was renamed in 1910 in recognition of Baron Edmond James de Rothschild’s extraordinary generosity. The Boulevard has become famous for its Bauhaus-style buildings, forming part of what is commonly known as the “White City” of Tel Aviv, a UNESCO-designated World Heritage Site.
A landmark building
Benjamin and Ariane de Rothschild’s decision to purchase and rehabilitate these two landmark buildings has contributed greatly to restoring this famous district of the city. Miki Kliger, CEO of Edmond de Rothschild (Israel), adds that “this acquisition is a sign of long-term commitment, which will have a strong impact and significantly increase our visibility. For us, Rothschild on Rothschild is not just an address, it’s a statement.”
In the 1930s, Tel Aviv experienced tremendous growth due to significant Jewish immigration (Aliya) from Europe to Mandatory Palestine. Indeed, its population tripled from fewer than 50,000 to more than 150,000 residents in just one decade. During this period, Achuzat Bait, the city’s historic, principally residential center, became the expanding metropolis’s main business hub.
In 1933, Yosef Eliyahou Mintzer purchased the lot at 18 Rothschild Blvd, next to the home of Tel Aviv’s Mayor, Meir Dizengoff. He hired the famous Bauhaus architect, Phillip Hütt, to design a building which would capture the neighborhood’s emerging place as the city’s financial district. Shortly thereafter,
Mintzer purchased a second, adjacent lot at number 20, this time commissioning Hütt to design a building with a solemn bank façade.
The two striking edifices would dominate the boulevard for decades before falling into neglect and disrepair as Tel Aviv continued to grow and reinvent itself.
In 2007, the Edmond de Rothschild Group purchased the building at 20 Rothschild Boulevard directly from the descendants of Yosef Eliyahou Mintzer. True to Mintzer’s vision, 20 Rothschild is a bold incarnation of Israel’s thriving financial district.