Photo caption (copyright: Martin Hartley): General Jean Maurin, commander of the Foreign Legion, Simon Murray and Ariane de Rothschild
The highly symbolic handing-over ceremony was held in the presence of Gérard Larcher, President of the Senate, General Bosser, Chief of Staff of the French Army and Simon Murray, the legionnaire who inspired the occasion.
4 Carlton Gardens, an address that left its mark on history
It was from 4 Carlton Gardens, headquarters of the Free French Forces during the Second World War, that Charles de Gaulle issued his famous call for resistance on 18 June 1940. Since 2013 the building has housed the London staff of the Edmond de Rothschild group, but General de Gaulle’s office has been kept untouched to perpetuate the memory of the historic war period.
The French flag emblazoned with the Cross of Lorraine was recently found stashed away in the cellar of the building. Measuring five by two metres, it is a proud symbol of resistance that will soon find a new home at the French Foreign Legion Museum in Aubagne.